Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Science, at last

I finally met Eors Szathmary today! It was brief, because he had a bunch of meetings. He was very nice, and insisted that I refer to him by his first name, which, I have learned, is pronounced Ursh. His last name is pronounced Sat-mayree with the second syllable kind of elongated, but the emphasis still on the first (Its a little tricky for us Angolul). I also met Adam Kun who published a paper with Eors recently. After a little ice breaker small talk, we got down to it, and talked science. I explained to him my research project, and we talked about what he found interesting from his perspective. He and Eors do a lot of theoretical biology, which they test using computer simulations. So he suggested simulation type experiments I could do, or try to do, or have somebody with some simulation experience do. I gave him a copy of my recent paper, and he found it very interesting. It all went pretty smooth. He's a good dude. Tomorrow, I will find out what he and Eors are up to.

And as I left the collegium, I felt less like a tourist. I wasn't walking around aimlessly, taking photos and thinking about where I would have my next meal. I was now a visiting scientist. In fact, if I may speak frankly, the tourists are a bit annoying to us Budapest scholars. They due help drive the economy, so I guess I will put up with them. Hmph.

Well, I should go, there are still some sites I want to take pictures of, and I'm not sure where I will have dinner tonight.

Eric travels

p.s. For Will in particular: I had the best Indian food of my life last night. The experience was similar to the first time I had really good Thai food (Kun Pic's in Portland). I couldn't believe all the flavors I was tasting, I didn't know my tongue could do that. It was like turning on a color tv for the fist time, but in my mouth.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for taking they time to share your marvelous experiences with us. Your sense of humor is not lost on this old soul. I have never been too Hungary, did not know that Budapest was once two separate cities(in fact I thought your first log-in from there had a typo and your boat hotel was on the West side of the Danube.Was trying to figure how such a drastically displaced typo could have occurred) and I have never eaten Indian food. Love, Mom

Eric said...

never had Indian food? Next time you are in Portland, we can go to the Chaat House

niles said...

Do you think you can afford to take your mom to such a fancy restaurant??