Monday, May 21, 2007

Jet lag and first impression

Wow. I think relativity states that if you travel to outer space, you actually come back younger than if you hadn't gone. But I don't think that takes into account time zones. I have jet lag. The mixtures of free beer and coffee during the flight didn't help much either. I arrived in Franfurt for a three hour layover, and since I hadn't eaten since early in the 10 hour flight, I was pretty hungry. I decided to get a bite to eat at the bar in the airport. So I ordered some Nurenburg sausage with kraut, mashed potatos and a stein of weissbier. I was halfway through the hearty German meal when I looked at the clock and realized it was 8:30. . . in the morning. The funny thing is that the waitress didn't even bat an eye. Clearly, I was in the fatherland.

After another hour and a half flight, I was in Budapest. At least that's what the signs in the Airport said. But airports all look basically the same. My first impression of the city was from the backseat of an airport minibus. Coming from the airport side of town, Budapest wasn't as striking as I had expected. The airport is situated away from down town, and you have to travel a way to see the city castle and beautiful architecture. Then again, I was half asleep, and we were traveling near the speed of sound, so I may have missed a few things.

The hotel Fortuna, where I am staying, is in a boat on the Pest side of the Danube. It looked a little shady from the outside, but the inside was very nice. We all get our own cabin which is named after some long past mariner. I am in the Ernest Shackelton room. The interior is covered in rich oak sidings and there are very nice chandeliers in the hallways. Its a lot like the Titanic. There is also only one small life boat, so, its a lot like the Titanic.

We had a long day today of orientation and a walking tours, so I have pictures which I will put up soon. Until then,

Eric travels

5 comments:

Unknown said...

So glad you are safely on land again, Moms always worry. Was surprised to see you took time to keep us informed so soon. Bryn tells me congrats are also in order due to your proposal! So here they are. CONGRATULATIONS
Love, Mom

niles said...

Watch out for icebergs...

The Hayden Family Blog said...

Babe, are you sitting down? I have some news you may not like...

Andy chose TESSA!

I know, I know... just when you think you really know those crazy one-dimensional lovebirds.

Unknown said...

Hey this blog thing is awesome! Hope you can keep it up. Very interesting. But yeah like Niles said, I guess data is important too.

Is wuss beer German-speak for Budweiser? And I think relativity only holds true if you're Charlton Heston, or a chicken moving at the speed of light. So your jet lag should resolve soon.

Unknown said...

Hayden! Just in case you don't hear about real news over there in Germany, you should know this:

The Blazers won the lottery!

And no, I'm not making this up. Greg Oden or Kevin Durant is going to be a Blazer.